Facilities & Resources
The common room provides a number of useful resources for its members. Information about these resources and details on how to access them are supplied here.
The Bar opening times are as follows:
Sat and Sun: 19:00 to 23:00
Mon to Fri: 12:00 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 23:00
- It offers competitive prices to Linacre students.
- A wide range of fair trade produce is available. The cost is subsidised by college.
- If you are interested in working at the bar, please contact the bar manager on email@example.com
- Useful tip: The Bar is WiFi enabled. However, to use the wireless network you must register your laptop with the OU Computing Service.
- Linacre common room owns an industrial-scale gas barbecue.
- Common room members who wish to use the barbecue should contact the student Food Representative by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terms and conditions for use of the barbecue are supplied here (Word .doc file).
- Please note that the BBQ should not be used on any paved areas within college grounds. On the grass is fine, however please check with Aiga Dombrovska (housekeeper) and reception to make sure no other function is taking place in college, which will clash with your planned BBQ.
- Useful Tip: The BBQ is very difficult to clean. When you are planning your BBQ, allow about one hour for this cumbersome chore.
Bicycle Maintenance Equipment
- The common room owns a set of bicycle maintenance equipment. It includes tools, pumps and puncture repair kits.
- To access the equipment, you must sign out a set of keys from the porter's lodge.
- If you encounter any problems (for example, missing or broken equipment) or have any suggestions as to how the setup can be improved, please contact the student Bike Representative by emailing: email@example.com
- Useful tip: Amongst the keys you will find a metal fob that can be used to override the motion sensitive lighting in the bicycle store.
- There is a darts board at the back of the common room.
- Darts are kept in a box near the oche
- Useful tip: If you are interested in participating in a darts tournament, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linacre College certainly has one of the finest gym facilities in Oxford.
- It is necessary to register with the gym manager and attend an induction session before using the gym.
- The Gym Manager can be contacted by emailing: email@example.com
- The gym is unsupervised and is open 24 hours.
- During term time, priority is granted to parties who have booked the gym in advance.
- The Precor (running machine) and ergs (rowing machines) may be booked in advance using a computer-based system located in the gym.
- Useful tip: For some serious vibes, you can connect your digital music player to the stereo in the gym using the supplied red cable.
- There is a free jukebox in the common room. The music selection is continually refreshed.
- Volume controls are located behind the bar - ask the bartender.
- If you would like to add your favourite CD to the Jukebox, please email the common room Social Secretaries at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Useful tip: There is a big red button behind the bar which aborts the track that is currently playing. Sometimes you cannot account for bad taste.
Magazines, Newspapers and Journals
- The common room currently has subscriptions for a selection of newspapers, magazines and journals.
- A concerted effort has been made to provide publications from various countries and areas of interest, catering to Linacre's diverse student population.
- An annual publication survey ensures that Linacre students' research and leisure reading needs continue to be met.
- Please direct any questions to the common room Secretary.
Oriel Sports Facility
- Linacre members have free access to the Oriel sports facilities on Cowley Road, including squash courts and a gym.
- Gain access by asking the Linacre porter's lodge for the key.
- If using the squash courts, make sure to call ahead to the Oriel porter's lodge to reserve them.
- The common room owns a new pool table for use by its members.
- Everything you need to play will be supplied at no cost.
- The pool table is currently in the small kitchen near the Tanner Room
- The common room owns two punts!
- The Linacre punts are stored at Wolfson College.
- Before using the punt, a registration fee of £10 is applicable. This represents excellent value for money since it entitles you to use the punt throughout the entire punting season (usually 1st April to 30th September). You buy a punt card at the front desk Porter's Lodge during business hours on weekdays.
- Once you have a punt card, you can contact the Porter in order to reserve it in blocks of time.
- For further information, please consult the punt regulations PDF.
- If you have any questions, you can contact the Linacre Admiral of the Punt (what a prestigious title) by emailing: email@example.com
- Useful tip: Some information regarding effective punting technique can be viewed here.
Rosenblatt Swimming Pool
- Through the CR, Linacre students have free membership to the Rosenblatt Pool at the Oxford University Sport facilities on Iffley Road.
- The 25 m pool has eight lanes, designated for different speeds (fast, medium, slow).
- Gain immediate access by showing your Bod card at reception and filling out a few forms.
- View pool hours here.
- There is a locker room with showers by the pool.
- Useful tip: Bring a one pound coin to use the lockers, which will be returned to you after returning the key.
- Linacre owns a Jenome JP720 Sewing Machine that is available to Linacre members to borrow.
- The maximum loan period is two weeks. You can book ahead to ensure you are able to use the machine during the time period you need it.
- Anyone wishing to use the Sewing Machine must sign the Terms and Conditions form (download word document).
- The Sewing Machine may be signed out at the Porter's Lodge. You will be given a key to the cupboard in the Pool Room where the Sewing Machine is stored.
- The sewing machine is currently looked after by Beate Dirks. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to get in contact
- Useful info: The Sewing Machine has 20 different stitch patterns, variable speed control (so you can set it on slow for tricky work and fast for straight seams), built in needle threader, one step button-hole function, automatic lock stitching as well as various accessories for quilting. Also in the cupboard you will find a sewing kit which contains thread, sissors and other notions for your use. If you use up a spool of thread, please replace it as a courtesy to the next person who uses the kit.
- The CR owns a Camera that is looked after by Linacre Photo Soc.
- The camera is Canon 60D.
- The current lenses we have are Tamron AF18-270mm VC PZD Zoom Lens, CANON - EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Lens and Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 Lens .
- The CR also owns a tripod, a 32-GB SD card and a 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon to use with the camera if needed.
To book the camera or other photo equipment, please contact email@example.com
Toys for Children and Board Games
- The common room owns a range of toys and books for children.
- These are accessed using a key provided at the porter's lodge.
- The toys are maintained by the common room Welfare Representative, who will be very willing to discuss how the common room can further provide for children at Linacre.
- A selection of board games is available. These are also accessed using a key provided at the porter's lodge.
- The Small Common Room owns a 42 inch widescreen back-projected television.
- In addition, there is a VCR, a DVD player and a Sky Digital box.
- If you would like to connect a video camera to the television, please use the input ports located on the left hand side. This way, you can avoid disconnecting existing audio/visual equipment.
- Additional instructions are available here PDF.
- Useful tip: There is no formal system for reserving the television, however you can usually get away with leaving a piece of paper with the details of your booking in the Small Common Room.
Veg Box Scheme
- Organic vegetables, fruit, dairy and meat delivered to College
- Order at www.riverford.co.uk give your mobile number and state Linacre College as your delivery address
- Deliveries on Monday mornings straight to the cupboard in the bike shed
- The code to open the cupboard will be sent to you by text
- Enjoy your healthy and environmentally friendly life at Linacre!
- Contact Beate with any queries