Old Members & Friends
The Linacre College Development Office aims to deepen relationships between the College and its 5,500+ Old Members & Friends in 133 countries, and between individual Old Members. It does this through activities including publication of the College magazine, Linacre News, through events, national and professional networks, an individual, College-based mentoring scheme, and other initiatives such as visits to Old Members, mailings, and invitations back to the College. Electronic communications include regular e-mail news, and a presence on LinkedIn and the Oxford Alumni Community. Events vary from receptions in corporate venues, clubs or private homes, dinners large and small, lectures, and cultural events, to legacy circle receptions. It's easy to give us your current contact details with the Old Members' Update form. This can also be used to send us your latest news, which we very much welcome.
50th ANNIVERSARY CAMPAIGN SUCCESS
In December 2015, thanks to our generous supporters, a successful 50th Anniversary Capital Campaign was completed; £8 million, more than our target of £7.5 million, was given for the funds named below. We are thrilled, and warmly thank the generous donors, who number more than 600. The 50th Anniversary Campaign has enabled:
- a substantial increase to our Endowment fund.
- two new College houses, Neil Fraser-Bell House, and Tanner House.
- a new area of Garden, named for Dr Rom Harré.
- new Scholarships – both endowed and multi-year – so that in Michaelmas Term 2016 we offered scholarships to 34 students.
- new Junior Research Fellowships – increasing the number of JRFs to 24, four more than our Campaign target and one new Senior Research Fellowship.
- increased Hardship provision, including the new Patrick Heffernan Fund.
- significantly improved Library provision.
- endowed funds for prizes and awards: Domus Prizes; Thomas Linacre Studentships.
- the annual Leeds Hoban Linacre/Huntington Exchange Fellowship.
The Development Office continues to encourage gifts for a range of important College projects including Linacre's Endowment, Scholarships, Student Hardship Fund, Accommodation, and Academic Activities, such as Senior and Junior Research Fellowships, the College Library, and IT.
Recent gifts have included three significant bequests; Professor Louis J. Curran Scholarship for Music; Renewal of Ruth & Nevill Mott Scholarship; Library Chair naming and Dining Hall Table naming.
Current naming opportunities being offered are:
- Book Collections; named bookplates on 20 books, for £500 per collection.
- Student Rooms; naming of your old room in College or off-site, or of a room in our new student house on Iffley Road.
- Library Workstations; named plaques for £3,000 which will fund a PC, and Library upkeep.
NEW STUDENT HOUSE FOR LINACRE
Linacre bought its fourth property in the Iffley Road area in December 2016. Generous gifts towards the purchase price of £2.6 million currently amount to £1.22 million. We are most grateful to all donors. Naming opportunities in the new house exist for:
- Flats (comprising a number of bedrooms)
- Student bedroom
- The house
N.B. Gifts of £5,000 plus will ensure donor's names will be included in a plaque to be displayed in the house.
Thank you for your ongoing interest in Linacre, a college which offers so much to its members, and which is, in turn, rightly proud of the impressive and enterprising worldwide Linacre community.