You are here
Meeting of the Tanner Lectures Board at College
In June 2019, Linacre College had the great honour of hosting the annual meeting of the members of the Tanner Lectures Board. Members who joined the meeting were:
- President Lawrence Bacow, Harvard University
- Principal Nick Brown and Dr Roosa Leimu-Brown, Linacre College, Oxford
- Chancellor Carol Christ, University of California, Berkeley
- President Christopher Eisgruber and Lori Martin, Princeton University
- President David Ibbetson, Clare Hall, Cambridge
- Beth James, Tanner Lectures Board
- Director Mark Matheson and Jennifer Falk, Tanner Lectures Board
- CEO David Petersen and Teri Petersen, OC Tanner Company
- Vice Chancellor Louise Richardson and Dr Thomas Jevon, University of Oxford
- President Peter Salovey and Marta Moret, Yale University
- President Mark Schlissel and Monica Schwebs, University of Michigan
- Dr Stephen Tanner Irish, OC Tanner Board
- President Marc Tessier-Lavigne and Mary Hynes, Stanford University
- Vice Chancellor Stephen Toope and Paula Rosen, University of Cambridge
- President Ruth Watkins and Robert Young, University of Utah
On Monday 24th June, a dinner in their honour was held in College; the board members had the opportunity to meet with some Linacre Fellows and students, and listen to a live performance of A Linacre Grace recently composed by Dr Toby Young.
The Tanner Lectures on Human Values were established by Obert Clark Tanner―an American scholar, industrialist and philanthropist―who was a great friend of Linacre College; his daughter, Carolyn Tanner Irish, is an Old Member and Honorary Fellow; and also a member of the Tanner Lectures Board. In the creation of the lectureships, Professor Tanner envisioned the lectures to be a contribution to the intellectual and moral life of humankind.
From 2013, Linacre College has been the base for the annual Tanner Lecture held in Oxford. The most recent Lecture, A President for Dark Times: the Age of Reason Meets the Age of Trump, was delivered by Strobe Talbott on 2 May 2019.
Photos from the gala dinner can be found here