You are here

Mental health

We hope that your time at Linacre will be enjoyable.  However, we know that doing a postgraduate degree at Oxford can be stressful.  If you feel anxious or depressed, there are people in and outside College that you can talk to:

Linacre Peer Supporters are students who have been trained to help other students think through issues and give them emotional support in a safe and confidential way.

The University Counselling Service can help you address personal or emotional problems that get in the way of having a good experience and realising your full academic and personal potential.  It offers short courses of individual counselling, as well as group counselling and a range of workshops on common student issues. This is not an emergency service, but appointments are usually available within a week. Appointments can be requested by calling 01865270300 or emailing

The Counselling Service have produced a one-minute animated video introducing the counselling service. You need the password ‘oxford’ to download the animated video, which you can find here:

They have also produced a four-minute video of students reflecting on their experiences of counselling, which can be found on YouTube here:

It is often helpful to discuss your mental health with your doctor. You can find details of how to register with and contact the College doctor here.

The Oxford branch of the Samaritans is a 24/7 branch meaning they offer emotional support to callers over the phone around the clock. Callers are welcome to visit the branch in person between the hours of 08:00am and 10.00pm and they also offer support via email and text.

Nightline is a listening, information and support service run by students for students.  It is open from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. every night in term time.  Call 01865 270270

Student Minds runs a weekly support group during term for students with eating disorders.  The group maintains a pro-recovery atmosphere.

If your mental health problem is a long-lasting one, look at the webpage on Long-term medical conditions and disabilities.  The University and the College can support you in a number of ways.

If your mental health condition means that you cannot complete work for your course on time, contact Senior Tutor Dr Jane Hoverd.  Dr Hoverd will advise you on what your options are, and help you to make the appropriate applications to the  University.

If you find yourself in a crisis situation outside normal working hours, you can call the Linacre emergency mobile, which is staffed by the Junior Dean or one of the Senior Students:  07837 142095.  They will be able to contact someone who can help you.