You are here

Physical health

All Linacre students resident in Oxford are eligible for National Health Service (NHS) treatment.  If you are from abroad, you may have paid a fee for this when you applied for your visa.

You are strongly encouraged to register with the College surgery at 19 Beaumont Street, when you arrive in Oxford.  If you should have a non-emergency medical problem, it will be much easier to deal with if you are already registered with the surgery.

The surgery's website will guide you through to the service you need. The most frequently used services are linked to from the front page. You will be given the option of booking an appointment either online or by phone. If you are speaking to a member of the surgery's reception team, please make it clear if you are in need of an appointment urgently.

Emergencies:  for medical emergencies, telephone 999.  Anyone in the UK can receive emergency medical treatment at National Health Service (NHS) hospitals.  The NHS Accident and Emergency unit in Oxford is at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9DU.

If you have a long-term medical condition that is likely to have an impact on your day-to-day life, your condition falls under the legal definition of a disability.  The College and the University are committed to supporting students with disabilities. There is lots of information on the Linacre Disability page, and also on the University’s Disability Advisory Service page.

Keeping healthy with sports and other activities:  there are plenty of opportunities for sports and recreation at Linacre. Check out the Common Room Societies page.

Sexual health: Condoms are currently supplied in all College properties for emergency use.  Information on obtaining free condoms, pregnancy tests, sexually transmitted infections and sexual health resources can be found on the Common Room Welfare page

If an unexpected illness or accident means that you cannot complete work for your course on time, contact Senior Tutor Dr Jane Hoverd.  Jane will advise you on what your options are, and help you to make the appropriate applications to the  University.