You are here

Sexual assault

Any sexual act that a person does not consent to, whether or not it involves violence, is a crime. Most sexual assaults are carried out by someone known to the victim. Anyone can be sexually assaulted: women, men, old and young.

If you have been sexually assaulted, the University and College can support you.

In case of emergency you can phone (01865) (2)71650 between 08:30 and 18:00 Monday to Friday or the College Emergency Mobile Number 07837 142095 outside these times. You should say that you need to speak urgently to a College Welfare Officer and you should leave a number on which you can be contacted.

The University Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service is an all-in-one provision for any students regardless of age or gender who have been affected by sexual harassment or violence. It provides free support and advice, along with a safe place to be heard independent of your college or department.

It supports all students in all situations, whether the experiences of sexual harassment or violence happened in Oxford or elsewhere, and whether it was recent or in the past. It will support you at your pace and will help you to explore your options, and it will support you whatever you choose to do.

For further information see: Student Welfare & Support Services (SWSS) have produced a simple and easy to use flowchart when responding to instances of sexual violence. It can be viewed here.

If you would like to chat confidentially about contacting the service, or if you would like someone from College to attend with you, please email:

Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre offers a free and confidential service to women and girls who are dealing with the effects of sexual violence, and to anyone who is supporting them.

The Thames Valley Independent Sexual Violence Advisory Service is an independent, confidential advice centre where you can get non-judgmental advice about a sexual assault. The centre is funded by the Thames Valley Police, but you will NOT be obliged to report your assault to the police if you don't want to.  Trained specialist advisors work with women and men, including heterosexual, gay, bisexual and transgender people of all backgrounds and ages. 

Other Useful Links

National Health Service  “Help after rape and sexual assault"

Oxfordshire NHS Sexual Health Service

A step-by-step guide for rape victims (Metropolitan Police)

Linacre College Policy and Procedure on Harassment