You are here

Who can you contact for help in College?

EMERGENCIES:  For a medical emergency, dial 999.  For other out-of-hours emergencies, you can call the Linacre emergency mobile, which is staffed by the Junior Dean or one of the Senior Students:  07837 142095.

Many people at Linacre are standing ready to support you.  This page tells you who to contact for different kinds of issues. 

For general advice on who to contact, the College Porters can help you.  The Porters’ Lodge is staffed during the day by permanent College staff and after 4pm by student Porters.  Staff and student porters are well briefed on College procedures.

If you are not sure who to contact, you can email and you will be directed to the appropriate person.

You can discuss any problems to do with your studies or your life in Oxford with

  • your College Advisor, a Linacre Fellow who will give you impartial advice about any problems you encounter.  If you don’t remember who your College Advisor is, you can ask the College Secretary.  
  • a Linacre Peer Supporter. Peer Supporters are students who have been trained to help other students think through issues and give them emotional support in a safe and confidential way.
  • the Linacre Common Room Welfare Officer, who is a point of contact for any member of college who is feeling in need of advice or support.
  • the Junior Dean; this senior student looks after College outside of working hours, and can give you confidential advice and support.
  • the Associate Dean  Dr Catherine Walter, who can advise you confidentially on any welfare matters and help you with any action you decide to take.
  • Senior Tutor Dr Jane Hoverd who monitors the welfare and academic progress of Linacre students, and welcomes contact from students in difficulty.

You can ask for advice on administrative matters from the College Secretary, Mrs Jackie Favarin.

If you are having unforeseen financial difficulties, 

  • you can speak to Accounts Manager Jan Krendler about your College bills
  • you can apply for hardship funding from the Linacre House Trust 
  • there are some University funds that you can apply for; you can ask the Vice Principal about these 

If you have a long-term physical or mental condition or disability that has an impact on your studies, you can talk to the Associate Dean, Dr Catherine Walter

If you would like to discuss issues to do with gender – women’s issues, men’s issues, LGBTQI issues – you can talk to Dr Catherine Walter.  You can also talk to Dr Heath Rose about LGBTQI issues.

If you would like to discuss pregnancy, children or other family issues, you can contact Dr Laura Rival or Dr Catherine Walter.

If you have been bullied or harassed anywhere in the University, you can approach one of Linacre’s Harassment Advisors, or see the page on Harassment and bullying for additional University resources.