You are here
Facilities & Resources
The common room provides a number of useful resources for its members. Information about these resources and details on how to access them are supplied here.
The Bar opening times are as follows:
Sat and Sun: 19:00 to 23:00
Mon to Fri: 12:00 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 23:00
- It offers competitive prices to Linacre students.
- A wide range of fair trade produce is available. The cost is subsidised by college.
- If you are interested in working at the bar, please contact the bar manager at email@example.com
- Linacre common room owns an industrial-scale gas barbecue.
- Common room members who wish to use the barbecue should contact the student Food Representative by emailing Zun on firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Terms and conditions for use of the barbecue are supplied here (Word .doc file).
- Please note that the BBQ should not be used on any paved areas within college grounds. On the grass is fine, however please check with Aiga Dombrovska (housekeeper), reception or the social secretaries to make sure no other function is taking place in college, which will clash with your planned BBQ.
- Useful Tip: The BBQ is very difficult to clean. When you are planning your BBQ, allow about one hour for this cumbersome chore.
Bicycle Maintenance Equipment
- The common room owns a set of bicycle maintenance equipment. It includes tools, pumps and puncture repair kits.
- To access the equipment, you must sign out a set of keys from the porter's lodge.
- If you encounter any problems (for example, missing or broken equipment) or have any suggestions as to how the setup can be improved, please contact the student Bike Representative by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Useful tip: Amongst the keys you will find a metal fob that can be used to override the motion sensitive lighting in the bicycle store.
- There is a darts board at the back of the common room.
- Darts are kept in a box near the oche
- Useful tip: If you are interested in participating in a darts tournament, please contact our sports officer on email@example.com
- Linacre College certainly has one of the finest gym facilities in Oxford.
- It is necessary to register with the gym manager and attend an induction session before using the gym.
- The Gym Manager can be contacted by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The gym is unsupervised and is open 24 hours.
- During term time, priority is granted to parties who have booked the gym in advance.
- The Precor (running machine) and ergs (rowing machines) may be booked in advance using a computer-based system located in the gym.
- Useful tip: For some serious vibes, you can connect your digital music player to the stereo in the gym using the supplied red cable.
- There is a free jukebox in the common room.
- Volume controls are located behind the bar - ask the bartender.
Magazines, Newspapers and Journals
- The common room currently has subscriptions for a selection of newspapers, magazines and journals.
- A concerted effort has been made to provide publications from various countries and areas of interest, catering to Linacre's diverse student population.
- The CR members can access The New York Times for free by visting http://nytimesineducation.com/access-nyt/ and creating an account using memebers Linacre's email account
- Please direct any questions to the common room Secretary.
Oriel Sports Facility
- Linacre members have free access to the Oriel sports field on Cowley Road.
- Gain access by asking the Linacre porter's lodge for the key.
- If using the squash courts, make sure to call ahead to the Oriel porter's lodge to reserve them.
- The common room owns a new pool table for use by its members.
- Everything you need to play will be supplied at no cost.
- The pool table is currently in the pool room near the Tanner Room
- The common room owns two punts!
- The Linacre punts are stored at Wolfson College.
- Before using the punt, a registration fee of £12 is applicable. This represents excellent value for money since it entitles you to use the punt throughout the entire punting season (6th May to 30th September 2019). You buy a punt card at the front desk Porter's Lodge during business hours on weekdays.
- Once you have a punt card, you can contact the Porter in order to reserve it in blocks of time.
- For further information, please consult the punt regulations PDF.
- If you have any questions, you can contact the Linacre Admiral of the Punt (what a prestigious title) by emailing: email@example.com
- Useful tip: Some information regarding effective punting technique can be viewed here.
Rosenblatt Swimming Pool
- Through the CR, Linacre students have free membership to the Rosenblatt Pool at the Oxford University Sport facilities on Iffley Road.
- The 25 m pool has eight lanes, designated for different speeds (fast, medium, slow).
- Gain immediate access by showing your Bod card at reception and filling out a few forms.
- View pool hours here.
- There is a locker room with showers by the pool.
- Useful tip: Bring a one pound coin to use the lockers, which will be returned to you after returning the key.
- Linacre owns a Jenome JP720 Sewing Machine that is available to Linacre members to borrow.
- The maximum loan period is two weeks. You can book ahead to ensure you are able to use the machine during the time period you need it.
- Anyone wishing to use the Sewing Machine must sign the Terms and Conditions form (download word document).
- The Sewing Machine may be signed out at the Porter's Lodge. You will be given a key to the cupboard in the Pool Room where the Sewing Machine is stored.
- The sewing machine is currently looked after by Beate Dirks. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to get in contact
- Useful info: The Sewing Machine has 20 different stitch patterns, variable speed control (so you can set it on slow for tricky work and fast for straight seams), built in needle threader, one step button-hole function, automatic lock stitching as well as various accessories for quilting. Also in the cupboard you will find a sewing kit which contains thread, sissors and other notions for your use. If you use up a spool of thread, please replace it as a courtesy to the next person who uses the kit.
- The CR owns a Camera that is looked after by Linacre Photo Soc.
- The camera is Canon 60D.
- The current lenses we have are Tamron AF18-270mm VC PZD Zoom Lens, CANON - EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Lens and Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 Lens .
- The CR also owns a tripod, a 32-GB SD card and a 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon to use with the camera if needed.
To book the camera or other photo equipment, please contact email@example.com
Toys for Children and Board Games
- The common room owns a range of toys and books for children.
- These are accessed using a key provided at the porter's lodge.
- The toys are maintained by the common room Welfare Representative, who will be very willing to discuss how the common room can further provide for children at Linacre.
- A selection of board games is available. These are also accessed using a key provided at the porter's lodge.
- The Small Common Room owns a smart 55 inch 4K TV.
- In addition, there is a DVD player and a Sky Digital box.
- [Additional instructions are available here PDF.]
- Useful tip: There is no formal system for reserving the television, but you can book the small CR using the online diary - link available in the discription of Linacre Common Room Facebook Group and the Freshers' Guide.
- You can book the TV (not the Small CR per se) by using the link that you can find in Linacre CR Facebook Group Discription.
Veg Box Scheme
- Local and organic vegetables, fruit, dairy, meat and bread delivered to College.
- Order at www.tenmilemenu.co.uk (link is external) by midnight on Tuesdays and state Linacre College as your delivery address.
- Deliveries are on Friday afternoons straight to the cupboard in the bike shed.
- Email Zun, our food represenatative (firstname.lastname@example.org) when you first order to receive the code to open the cupboard. Zun can also answer any other questions.
- Enjoy your healthy and environmentally friendly life at Linacre!
Tea & Coffee
- The pool room has a bean to cup coffee machine and a kettle.
- The facility provides premium quality coffees, and world-class teas and herbal infusion from Fortnum and Mason. Drinks range from 60-95p, and paper cups are available if needed.
- You can pay either with cash in the honesty box or via battels by logging your order via the online form (link can be found by the machine) or writing down your name and the amount due.
There is usually also milk stocked in the pool room fridge.
Xbox One S & Nintendo Switch
- There’s an Xbox One S console in the Small Common Room, as well as a Nintendo Switch.
- There is varitey of games: FIFA 17, Rocket League, Mortal Combat, Just Dance, Mario Kart 8, Snippers Clip Plus, Legend of Zelda.
- Keys for the cabinet can be found at reception, so please enjoy the facility and put things back into the cabinet before returning the key to the reception.
Projector and speakers
- The CR has a ceiling-mounted projector and linked audio-system.
- You can connect your laptop to it via VGA or HDMI cables through the ports near the jukebox.
- There are usually film screenings there on Sunday nights during term time and every other Sunday out of term. Contact the CR if you would like to organise one.