You are here

Health & Disability

Emergencies: for medical emergencies, telephone 999. Anyone in the UK can receive emergency medical treatment at National Health Service (NHS) hospitals. The NHS Accident and Emergency unit in Oxford is at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9DU.

This page contains information on:

Physical Health

All Linacre students resident in Oxford are eligible for National Health Service (NHS) treatment. If you are from abroad, you may have paid a fee for this when you applied for your visa.

Registering with the Doctor: You are strongly encouraged to register with the College Doctor's Surgery at 19 Beaumont Street, when you arrive in Oxford. If you should have a medical problem, it will be much easier to deal with if you are already registered with the surgery.

The surgery's website will guide you through to the service you need. The most frequently used services are linked to from the front page. You will be given the option of booking an appointment either online or by phone. If you are speaking to a member of the surgery's reception team, please make it clear if you are in need of an appointment urgently. 

Illness and Your Studies: If an unexpected illness or accident means that you cannot complete work for your course on time, contact the Academic Office and Alison will advise you on what your options are, and help you to make the appropriate applications to the University. Further information is available on the Problems with your Studies page.

Sports and Other Activities: there are plenty of opportunities for sports and recreation at Linacre. Check out the Common Room Societies page. 

Sexual Health: Condoms are currently supplied in all College properties for emergency use. Information on  pregnancy tests, sexually transmitted infections, obtaining free condoms, and sexual health resources can be found on the Common Room Welfare page.

Mental Health 

We hope that your time at Linacre will be enjoyable. However, we know that doing a postgraduate degree at Oxford can be stressful. If you feel anxious or depressed, there are people in and outside College that you can talk to:

  • Linacre Peer Supporters are students who have been trained to help other students think through issues and give them emotional support in a safe and confidential way.
  • The University Counselling Service can help you address personal or emotional problems that get in the way of having a good experience and realising your full academic and personal potential.  It offers short courses of individual counselling, as well as group counselling and a range of workshops on common student issues. This is not an emergency service, but appointments are usually available within a week. Appointments can be requested by calling 01865 270300 or emailing The Counselling Service have produced a one-minute animated video introducing the counselling service, which you can find on YouTube here. They have also produced a four-minute video of students reflecting on their experiences of counselling, which can be found on here.
  • It is often helpful to discuss your mental health with your doctor. Details of how to register with, and contact, the College doctor are listed above.  
  • The Oxford branch of The Samaritans is a 24/7 branch meaning they offer emotional support to callers over the phone around the clock. Callers are welcome to visit the branch in person between the hours of 08:00am and 10.00pm and they also offer support via email and text. 
  • Nightline is a listening, information and support service run by students for students. It is open from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. every night in term time. Call 01865 270270 
  • Student Minds runs a weekly support group during term for students with eating disorders. The group maintains a pro-recovery atmosphere. 

If your mental health problem is a long-lasting one, see the section below on Long-term medical conditions and Disabilities. The University and the College can support you in a number of ways. 

If your mental health condition means that you cannot complete work for your course on time, contact Senior Tutor, Dr Jane Hoverd. Dr Hoverd will advise you on what your options are, and help you to make the appropriate applications to the University. Further information is available on the Problems with your Studies page.

If you find yourself in a crisis situation outside normal working hours, you can call the Linacre emergency mobile, which is staffed by the Junior Dean or one of the Senior Students: 07837 142095. They will be able to contact someone who can help you. 

Disability and Long-term Medical Conditions

In the UK, a disability is defined as a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities. If you have a condition that makes it difficult for you to study or carry out day-to-day activities, you may qualify for support from Linacre and from the University. You can contact the University Disability Advisory Service (DAS) if you are unsure if your condition qualifies you for support.

The DAS offers a wide range of support options for students with disabilities, and can also support you in any requests for special arrangements for study or examinations. If you have a disability, you are strongly advised to register with the DAS early on in your course. Registering with the DAS will ensure that all reasonable adjustments can be made for your disability, in Linacre and in the wider university. A specialist DAS advisor will invite you for an interview to speak in detail about your individual situation and how you can best be supported. 

The DAS also offers drop-in sessions for quick queries. This service is offered on a first come, first served basis, and should only be used for queries that are not expected to take more than 10 minutes. 

1.00 pm – 2.00pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 

1.00 pm – 4.00pm Thursdays 

The Senior Tutor, Dr Jane Hoverd and Academic Registrar, Alison Franklin have experience of working with students who have long-term medical conditions or disabilities. They are happy to speak with you confidentially about your disability and how the college can support you.