You are here

Who Can You Contact for Help in College?

EMERGENCIES:  For a medical emergency, dial 999. For other out-of-hours emergencies, you can call the Linacre emergency mobile, which is staffed by the College Porters: 07837 142095. 

Many people at Linacre are standing ready to support you. This page tells you who to contact for different kinds of issues.  

For general advice on who to contact, the College Porters can help you. The Porters’ Lodge is staffed during the day by permanent College staff and after 4pm by student Porters. Staff and student porters are well briefed on College procedures. 

If you are not sure who to contact, you can email and you will be directed to the appropriate person. 

You can discuss any problems to do with your studies or your life in Oxford with:

  • your College Advisor, a Linacre Fellow who will give you impartial advice about any problems you encounter. If you don’t remember who your College Advisor is, you can ask the Academic Administrator
  • Linacre Peer Supporter, Peer Supporters are students who have been trained to help other students think through issues and give them emotional support in a safe and confidential way. 
  • the Linacre Common Room Welfare Officers, who are a point of contact for any member of college who is feeling in need of advice or support. 
  • the Junior Dean; this senior student looks after College outside of working hours, and can give you confidential advice and support. 
  • Senior Tutor Dr Jane Hoverd who monitors the welfare and academic progress of Linacre students, and welcomes contact from students in difficulty. 

Welfare Clinics: Dr Jane Hoverd and Pete Mandeville, a Fellow of Linacre College and Service Lead at the University’s Student Welfare and Support Services, launched weekly welfare clinics in Michaelmas term 2020. These are held online via Teams every Friday from 13.00-15.00. Each bookable session is for up to 15 minutes. During this time, you will be able to discuss your concerns, ask questions, and receive advice and guidance about where to seek support and the options available to you. You can book a session via the booking calendar.

You can ask for advice on administrative matters from Alison Franklin, the Academic Registrar or see Problems with Your Studies

If you are having unforeseen financial difficulties, then more advice can be found on the Money Issues and Funding page or:

If you have a long-term physical or mental condition or disability that has an impact on your studies, you can talk to Dr Jane Hoverd 

If you would like to discuss issues to do with matters relating to gender, race, sexual orientation, culture, ethnicity, or disability – you can talk to the Dean for Equality and Diversity, Dr Clara Barker. Or see the page on Equality and Diversity.

If you would like to discuss pregnancy, children or other family issues, you can contact Dr Laura Rival or Dr Jane Hoverd. 

If you have been bullied or harassed anywhere in the University, you can approach one of Linacre’s Harassment Advisors, or see the page on Sexual Violence, Harassment and Bullying for additional University resources.

One of the most striking characteristics of Linacre is its tremendous sense of community. We are all here to support each other, and each of you can play a part in looking after and maintaining this community. If you become concerned about one of your peers, or you notice a change in their behaviour; perhaps they are becoming withdrawn, isolated, or acting differently; perhaps they have said something that worries you, or just appear to be struggling, please let a member of the welfare team know. You can do so confidentially via